During the Summer 2022 semester, the first cohort of FIU faculty completed the WAC Micro-Credential “Teaching with Writing in the Disciplines.” The aim of this micro-credential is to support faculty in teaching the critical skill of writing and to assist them in incorporating high-impact practices into their course design. It also assists faculty in using writing to enhance student learning and course engagement.
The micro-credential equips faculty with the primary principles for teaching effectively with writing in a multilingual-majority university. Topics include:
- Understanding the benefits and various methods of teaching with writing,
- Creating and sequencing writing assignments, including collaborative writing projects,
- Responding to and assessing student writing
- Using writing in large-cap vs small-cap classes, and
- Leveraging the benefits of multilingualism
Last year, 78% of faculty rated “very satisfied’ with the badging experience and 22% rated “satisfied”. This year, we plan to include 10-15 faculty in this WAC faculty development activity. The weekly activities will be a hybrid of online live and asynchronous online. The badging course will start in early May. Call for participation will go out soon! Please stay tuned.
Upon successful completion of the micro-credential, faculty are eligible to incorporate the student-facing WAC badge into their courses.